Quantum Mechanics I (PY 401)
PROF. T. SCHAEFER
Physics 401/401 (Quantum Mechanics) provides an introduction to
quantum mechanics intended for undergraduate students in physics
or engineering. Part I (PY401) covers the Schroedinger equation,
simple solutions (harmonic oscillator, Hydrogen atom), Spin,
and the abstract (Bra/Ket) formalism.
TTh 10:15-11:30, RID 315
Instructor: T. Schaefer, Office RID
Office hours: Wed 2:00-4:00 and by appointment.
Most thursdays a set of homework problems
will be assigned. (You can also check the website.) The homework
is due thursday the following week.
There will be two midterm exams, some quizzes, and a final.
Your final grade will be determined by weighting the various
portions of the course as follows:
Midterms: 30%, Quizzes: 10%, Final: 30%, Homework: 30%
Quantum Mechanics by Phillip J. E. Peebles, Princeton Univeristy Press.
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, by David Griffiths, Benjamin Cummings.
A popular undergraduate text book. Not as well thought out as Peebles,
but structure closer to typical introductory physics books.
- Modern Quantum Mechanics, by J. J. Sakurai, Addison Wesley.
Not a good text book, but very useful supplement for both undergraduate
and graduate students.
- Principles of Quantum Mechanics, by R. Shankar, Springer.
A little more challenging, and frequently used as a graduate textbook.
Very well written and good for self study.
Course Information: [pdf]
Handouts: [Numerical solution of Schroedinger equation:
[Same for potential with two bound states:
[Coulomb wave functions]
Rules: Homework is due in class. No late homework accepted.
- Homework assignment 1 (due 8-28): [pdf]
- Homework assignment 2 (due 9-4): Peebles problem I.1,I.2,I.3,I.5.
- Homework assignment 3 & 4 (due 9-18): Peebles
- Homework assignment 5 (due 10-2, extended to 10-7): Peebles
- Homework assignment 6 (due 10-16): Peebles I.16.
- Homework assignment 7 (due 10-23): Peebles II.1. II.2, II.3, II.4, II.5.
- Homework assignement 8 (due 10-30): Peebles II.7 (P_0,P_1,P_2 only), II.8, II.9, II.11, II.12.
- Homework assignement 9 (due 11-13): Peebles II.10, II.13.
- Homework assignement 10 (due 11-20): Peebles II.16, II.17, II.22.
- Homework assignement 11 (due 12-4): Peebles II.20, II.21.
[Quiz 1][Quiz 2]
- Midterm Exam 1: September 23 [sol]
- Midterm Exam 2: November 4 [sol]
- Final: Tues, Dec 16, 8:00 - 11:00 am
Questions? Send email to