Quantum Mechanics II (PY 402)
PROF. T. SCHAEFER
Physics 401/402 (Quantum Mechanics) provides an introduction to
quantum mechanics intended for undergraduate students in physics
or engineering. Part II (PY402) covers perturbation theory (time
independent and time dependent), applications to atomic
physics, scattering theory, and a brief introduction to
relativistic quantum mechanics.
TTh 10:15-11:30, RID 315
Instructor: T. Schaefer, Office RID
Office hours: We 2:00-4:00 and by appointment.
Most thursdays a set of homework problems
will be assigned. (You can also check the website.) The homework
is due thursday the following week.
There will be two midterm exams, some quizzes, and a final.
Your final grade will be determined by weighting the various
portions of the course as follows:
Midterms: 30%, Quizzes: 10%, Final: 30%, Homework: 30%
Quantum Mechanics by Phillip J. E. Peebles, Princeton Univeristy Press.
- Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, by David Griffiths, Benjamin Cummings.
A popular undergraduate text book. Not as well written as Peebles,
but structure closer to typical introductory physics books.
- Modern Quantum Mechanics, by J. J. Sakurai, Addison Wesley.
Not a good text book, but very useful supplement for both undergraduate
and graduate students.
- Principles of Quantum Mechanics, by R. Shankar, Springer.
A little more challenging, and frequently used as a graduate textbook.
Very well written and good for self study.
Course Information: [postscript]
Handouts: [Essentials of Quantum Mechanics]
[Variational Wave Function for Helium]
[Bell's theorem simplified (GHZ state)]
Rules: Homework is due in class. No late homework accepted. No
excuses other than serious illness, death in family, ... Lowest
homework score will be dropped.
- Homework assignment 1 (due 1-22): Peebles III.6, III.7
- Homework assignment 2 (due 1-29, extended to 2-3):
Peebles III.10, III.11
- Homework assignment 3 (due 2-5): Peebles III.12, V.2.
Read Section 30.
- Homework assignment 4 (due 2-12): Peebles V.3, V.4.
Read Section 31,32.
- Homework assignment 5 (due 2-24): Peebles V.5, V.6.
Read Section 33.
- Homework assignment 6 (due 2-26): Peebles V.7.
Read Section 34.
- Homework assignment 7 (due 3-12): Peebles V.9, V.10.
Read Section 35, 36.
- Homework assignment 8 (due 3-19): Peebles V.11, V.12, V.13.
Read Section 37.
- Homework assignment 9 (due 4-2): Peebles V.14 a-e (50% bonus
Read Section 38 and 39.
- Homework assignment 10 (due 4-9): Peebles V.15, V.16.
- Homework assignment 11 (due 4-23): Peebles VI.5 a-g (25% bonus
- Quiz 1: [sol]
- Quiz 2: [sol]
- Quiz 3: [sol]
- Midterm Exam 1: Feb. 17 [sol]
- Midterm Exam 2: March 24 [sol]
- Final: May 5 (8am-11am)
Questions? Send email to